Welcome to The Forum’s Business Owner Highlight Series! Meet our incredible business owners through these insightful interviews sharing how their business originated, its specialties, and personal anecdotes. Enjoy!
1. What is your full name, title, and the name of your business?
Alex O’Rourke + Kate Lippert – co-owners + operators Pure Barre Wilmington
2. What is the background story of your business? What was it that inspired you to start it?
We both grew up dancing which kept us healthy + active until we were in college. Finding an outlet for exercise that gave us that same physical + mental outlet was challenging. Alex started taking classes in Raleigh, NC + once she introduced Kate, we knew we needed more Pure Barre in our lives! We were inspired by the technique and immediately looked into bringing a studio to Wilmington!
3. What does your business specialize in?
Pure Barre specializes in full-body fitness classes for all ages and fitness levels. In addition to our classes, we specialize in athleisure apparel to be worn in + out of our studio!
4. What brings you the greatest joy in managing/owning this business?
Hands-down the greatest joy of owning our business is the community and true Pure Barre family that has been created within our doors.
5. What’s one fun fact about your business that most people don’t know about?
We opened our doors in 2012 with a 6am class, we taught the class together + our dad was our front desk associate!
6. Why do you believe it’s important to shop local?
Shopping local is imperative in a city like Wilmington. Local businesses are the heartbeat of our town and without them, we’d lose what makes this community so special.